If you know me or have ready my blog in the past year, you probably know that I have been completely overhauled the products I use and now make most of my own. YEP! I make most of the stuff I use. Including my natural toothpaste made from all food grade ingredients and the most amazing toothpaste I have ever used!
Today, I am sharing with you a recipe for something I use multiple times a day. It is toothpaste. Now, I’ll be honest with you and say that if you are use to the store bought brands, this will take some time to get use to, but will be so much better for you. Trust me, your mouth and overall health will thank you for switching.
I have even managed to get some of my friends to switch to this natural toothpaste! One friend has even said she is now grossed out by other traditional toothpastes. Seriously that good!
Did you know that a lot of toothpaste’s contain Artifical Colors, Carrageenan, DEA (diethanolamine), Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives, GMO’s, Parabens, PEG’s (polythylene glycols) and Sodium Luaryl Sulfate (SLS)/Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)? Umm…. they contain what? Most of that list is probably a different language to you and if you don’t know what it is… you shouldn’t be using it!
If you are questioning how harmful many of the main stream brands could be or even just curious about it, you should really read this article called Is Your Toothpaste Full of Carcinogens? Is is really scary isn’t it? Now that I have scared you, check out this podcast from That’s So Retrograde, it shares hollistic dental practices.
Also let’s talk about some of your other dental habits! Specifically oil pulling and tongue scraping. These are both things you should be doing to keep your oral health in tip top condition. Did you know that bad breath actually comes from the base of your tongue? When you do oil pulling and tongue scraping you will help prevent bad breath.
Natural Toothpaste Recipe:
- 1/4 cup & 2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Bentonite Clay (don’t use metal when handling this product as it will deactivate)
- 1/2 tsp Mineral Rich Salt
- 1 tsp of Activated Charcoal (optional for whitening properties)
- 6-8 drops of essential oil, I used Peppermint
- Mix together Baking Soda and Coconut Oil. If it isn’t mixing too well, stick it into the microwave fro 10 seconds.
- Add Bentonite Clay and Salt into the mixture.
- Add Activated Charcoal if you are using it.
- Finally mix in essential oil and transfer to a glass container.