October is not just the month that represents fall the most, but it also breast cancer awareness month! Did you know 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer! (1) This is 12% of women! Breast cancer also has the highest death rate then any other cancer. (1) These two facts are alarming and also very scary for us women. This is why for this first post of the month of October I wanted to focus on a few important things to know about breast cancer.
- It is perfectly legal to use ingredients that are linked to cancer! Read your labels. Here is a link to some of the ingredients to be aware of.
- Go fresh, organic, and hormone free. You don’t need any added chemicals into your life. Eating fresh will avoid the potential risk of BPA from heating frozen foods. Here are a few tips for prevention.
- Over 3 million women in the US are dealing with the aftermath of a breast cancer diagnosis. (2)
- It is also the 2nd most diagnosed cancer. (2)
- Stopping breast cancer before it develops is the only real prevention. (2)
- Men can get breast cancer too. (2)
- Exposure to environmental estrogens is a potential risk factor for breast and gynecologic cancers. (2)
- Breast cancer is ultimately a disease of malfunctioning genes. (2)
- In many cases, more treatment is not necessarily better treatment. (2)
- On average, every 2 minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer and 1 woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes. (3)
These are just a few of the things to be aware of during this month! Cancer has touched so many people’s lives and we need to be educated on the facts. This month take a few moments to learn a little more about this cancer and all the others that are so prominent.